If you love to spend time with children and have always dreamed of becoming a teacher, a career in Elementary Education could be your calling! At ABC, you'll have the unique opportunity to earn an accredited bachelor's degree with a double major in Elementary Education and Bible / Theology.
By studying Elementary Education at a Christian college, you will learn spiritual, emotional, and social stability and maturity. These skills will enable you to teach children effectively and responsibly in Christian schools, public schools, or homeschool settings—in the United States or abroad.
The ABC Advantage
At Appalachian Bible College, prospective teachers are equipped to become excellent educators through a carefully balanced and integrated sequence of courses and classes.
At ABC, you will have:
- personalized attention in small class settings
- instruction from highly-qualified and experienced faculty
- valuable feedback on your teaching abilities (from faculty, peer, and self-evaluations)
- opportunities to observe, assist, and teach in multiple classroom settings, including Christian schools and public schools
- a student teaching experience in a Christian school
Appalachian Bible College has earned national accreditation through the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) by demonstrating excellence in the areas of content and pedagogy, clinical experiences, selectivity, program impact, and capacity for continuous improvement.
ABC's Elementary Education major also has approved program status and accreditation with:
- West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE)
- American Association of Christian Schools (AACS)
- Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
Mrs. Aimee Stiles - Elementary Education Chair
Teachers are entrusted with the high privilege of training children.
At ABC, we first train the teacher's heart in the Word of God and a Biblical philosophy of education. Then we equip him or her with the tools required to be an excellent servant in the classroom.
By the time the tassel is turned, Elementary Education students embrace teaching as a sacred calling from God.Connect with me!
- Praxis® Core passed
- C grade or above in courses: English Composition I & II, Speech, Foundations of Education, Testing & Curriculum
- Completion of Classroom Field Studies I & II, Spiritual Inventories, Interview with Elementary Education Advisor
- ePortfolio up to date
- Successful completion of student teaching, including the WV Teacher Performance Assessment
Single Track Certification: American Association of Christian Schools (AACS) and Association of Christian Schools
- Cumulative GPA: 2.5 for acceptance into the Elementary Education program and 2.0 at graduation
Dual Track Certification: Both AACS/ACSI and West Virginia state certification
- Cumulative GPA: 3.0 for acceptance into the Elementary Education program and 2.5 at graduation
- ACT/SAT 50th percentile
- WV Student Teaching Permit; state background check
- Praxis&® II Content Knowledge & Teaching Reading passed
- Verification of 200+ public school field hours
Requirements for licensure vary from state to state. ABC’s educator preparation program is aligned with licensing requirements in the state of West Virginia. If you are interested in professional licensure and intend to practice outside West Virginia, check with the appropriate state licensing body.
States for which ABC's educator preparation program meets the educational requirements for licensure or certification:
- West Virginia
ABC has not determined if its educator preparation program meets the educational requirements for licensure or certification in any state other than West Virginia. Refer to this website as a general guideline.
Why Elementary Education?
On average, elementary school teachers spend 1,000 hours per school year with their students, which means that your job and career will give you the opportunity to have a profound impact on children's lives. A bachelor's degree in Elementary Education can serve as the foundation for a lifelong ministry in education.
Career Ministry Opportunities
A bachelor's degree in Elementary Education gives you the opportunity to:
- teach in Christian and public schools
- teach abroad
- teach through homeschooling
- teach in cross-cultural missions
Objectives & Outcomes
|You will be trained in…||Leading to…|
|Child development and learning theory||the ability to design instruction that is both age-appropriate and strategy-appropriate.|
|Content in core and supplemental elementary school subjects||a knowledge base that allows for confident teaching.|
|The practical skills integral to the art of teaching||creative planning and presentation, as well as effective remediation and enrichment.|
|Bible and Theology as a basis for a comprehensive Biblical worldview||giving God His rightful place in every academic area.|
|Christ-likeness as a role model for children||the power to impact students spiritually, emotionally, and socially.|